How can you challenge discrimination to promote change?
There are three things you can do:
- Complain informally to your employer.
- Raise a grievance using your employer’s grievance procedures.
- Make a claim to the Employment Tribunal.
How can equality and diversity be improved?
Here are five ways of improving equality and diversity in your organisation:
- Ensure you have a comprehensive policy in place. It’s absolutely essential your organisation has an equality and diversity policy in place.
- Listen to your staff.
- Reflect the people you serve.
- Actively promote equality and diversity.
What is the purpose of monitoring in relation to equality and diversity?
Monitoring is the collection of statistical data, through questionnaires or surveys, to measure performance and improvement. In this case it’s using that information people provide about themselves to help measure performance and improvement in relation to equality and diversity.
How can healthcare discrimination be prevented?
To prevent discrimination the health and social care worker should be:
- Positive about an individual’s life history, their family and friends.
- Allow independence without referring to another person.
- Recognise an individual as a person of worth.
- Not judge or stereotype an individual.
How can equality and diversity be promoted in health care?
Provide person-centered care and work in a non-judgemental manner. Employees should be encouraged to value diversity and respect the attributes that make people different. Care plans should be personalised to reflect the likes, dislikes, personal history and beliefs of each individual.
How do you maintain equality?
7 Tips to Promote Equality & End Workplace Discrimination
- Identify & prevent unconscious bias. We all have unconscious biases.
- Put equality policies in place.
- Mind your language.
- Use objective criteria.
- Be proactive.
- Get advice if needed.
- Watch out for indirect discrimination.